One day Christian casually showed me this set of black magnets with white words on them that he had for the drawers of his big metal tool chest. I immediately exploded into a cacophony of questions, and although I was simultaneously wondering if I was being annoying, I couldn’t stop, “Did you make these? Where’d you get them? Did you make them? How’d you make these? Did you write them out? It’s your handwriting! What the hell!”
After my head exploded, I found out that he had made a font from his handwriting. Do you see now why I lost my poise and dignity? This was huge, once again making me understand how much cooler than me Christian was.
He laid his tool chest words out and printed them on printable magnet sheets, then just cut them out and slapped them on the metal drawer fronts.
In any event, do you want to make your own? Because I made my own. In fact, I made several of them, and they are a bit hard to stop making.
You print out font sheets from MyScriptFont.com, and fill in each of the boxes with whatever letters and symbols and numbers you use. Then you scan the sheet and upload it to the site. It is magically turned into a font that you can download into your font collection. Hint: don’t make your letters go past the box constraints on the sheet like I did in my fancy font. It will cut off parts of your letters.
You may go through the same phases I did:
1. Ruin first three pages because you are trying too hard to have awesome handwriting and you screw up when you hit the letter “y”.
2. Finally realize you can cut the perfect “y” off of another page and glue it onto your otherwise perfect first page.
3. Upload your handwriting font, write some stuff with it and promptly put yourself down for having stupid handwriting.
4. Back to the old drawing board, you write a new set of letters, pretending you are a professional designer. Better.
5. Think crazy thoughts of making a revolutionary font to upload and use on your blog. Realize professional designers are better than you at this.
6. Screw around with making a font as completely ridiculous as you possibly can, and laugh and laugh at the silliness of it.
7. Become really sick of writing the alphabet so many times and decide to make dinner for your family for the first time that week instead of designing a new font.
It’s a slippery slope, folks. Here’s the link to make your own font. Show me yours if you do this!Share This Awesomeness: