Can we all just agree that the best holiday of the year is rapidly approaching? BACK TO SCHOOL TIME. The knowledge that you will soon get more time to yourself coupled with buying copious amounts of school supplies is enough to trigger any parent’s happy hysteria.
I am all over those Target school supply aisles when they roll that shit out. All the millions of notebooks and folders hold the promise of so many wonderful things about to be learned. I can picture the layer of doodles obliterating the covers, and the short, nubby pencils, and eraser bits covering the table. Don’t even get me started on fresh packs of lined paper. I prefer college-ruled to the wide-ruled, in case you were wondering.
Since you are probably pretty adept at figuring out where to buy all the basics, I’ve compiled some extra-cool back to school items that you may not have on your school supplies list, but will obviously need to buy after you see them.
1. Go explore TinyMe – you will go nuts on this site. The designs are gorgeous, and everything is customizable, and I want EVERYTHING. But I think I’ll settle for ordering these labels for lunch boxes, thermoses, folders. (They’re waterproof, dishwasher resistant and microwave safe, woot woot!)
2. X-Acto Table- or Wall-Mount Pencil Sharpener – because that little plastic sharpener sucks.
3. New School desk with bench – Land of Nod has some pretty sweet new kid desks, but I particularly love this one. Isn’t it cool?
1. Teachers Pet Yellow Lion Backpack – rrrAWWWWWWRRRRRRRR!! Sorry.
2. Yet another rad item from Tiny Me- this one is a pencil case and again, you can choose from a million colors and designs. Lurve.
1. Periodic Lunch Bag (For people who have lunch periodically)
2. EasyLunchboxes – these are awesome. Ziploc has a version of these, too. I always have some of these on hand, in addition to some smaller containers so I can have the feeling that I’m making bento lunches, without the hassle of making them actually look cute.
3. LEGO Lunchboxes – are you even freaking kidding me right now with this cuteness? Are you?
2. Brainzy educational games – fun reading games for kids ages 3-7
3. School year Paint chip calendar – clever, no?
1. Down to the Wire Stacking Bins – now you can keep track of your kids’ folders and weird papers they bring home from school, instead of tacking them up in several layers all over your cork board that you can’t even see the back of anymore. I know you.
2. crocheted headphones (!!!!)
Stickers by Red Bubble – for notebooks, phone cases, folders, lunchboxes, pants, hair, school walls, scooters, and car windows. Did I miss anything?
1. Well I’ll be gobsmacked! We actually have a set of these things to freeze smoothies in, and they’re Fen’s favorite, but I didn’t think about even using them for snacks! And the stripes! I just threw these bad boys into my Amazon cart.
3. Geometric Star Eraser Top, Package of 144 I like ’em. They’re mathy-looking.
BoNuS StUfF: (Don’t you hate when people write like this?)
Education.com PLUS – This site is sort of awesome. I just discovered it, and it has lots of free worksheets, activities, ideas for gettin’ some smarts into your kids, but in fun ways. I think we all know by now that kids retain knowledge much better when learning is fun. They offer 3 levels of membership, with the first one being free! I have the free plan now, but I’m thinking of bumping up a level. This is my mini blog post about how I have just realized that kids don’t get a full education at school and you need to supplement their learning with education sites and places like Mathnasium, which we just signed up with. More on that in a future post….
Cafe Press – add your own image to a stainless water bottle. Might I suggest your face on a water bottle for your teen?
Super-cute free lunchbox printables.
Rage Against the Minivan’s printable checklist for getting kids to know what to pack in their own lunches.